Skip to main content

Update from Joan

All my first anniversaries have passed now. I will be seeing my surgeon and getting an ultrasound on Monday to make sure all is well. It is strange because the surgery leave (duh) scar tissue which feels like (!!) a tumor! So I have no idea what things are supposed to feel like, and hope to get some clear information Monday.Recently I have been dealing with issues that may be side effects or outgrowths of the cancer treatment. Most recently, I have been diagnosed with asthma. I was absolutely positive that it was allergies, but unlike my entire family, I tested negative for all the suspicious substances- dust, mold, cat dander, grasses, leaves, etc. etc. etc. yet still have asthma. My allergist says that radiation therapy can cause that sometimes. I'm hoping that it will resolve over time- in the meantime I'm using an inhaler as necessary. The other side effect, which I mentioned a few months ago, is the neuropathy related to using Taxol in chemo- since it has been so dry and warm, I have not had much problem with the knee or ankle, but it did bark at me last night after chorus. And then there is the very funny side effect of my very curly hair. I would like to keep it, or at least the thicker hair that has grown in- sometimes people do keep the new "do".I heard from a chorus buddy that she has just been diagnosed with b/c-- she is about my age. She has a pretty strong attitude about it, and they did catch it when it was very small, so her prognosis is good. I'm losing count of the number of people I know who have or have had breast cancer treatment recently- while the process of treatment (for me at least) was manageable, it is a long and tiresome road-- and now I find that the aftershocks continue! I'll learn more about that this week. They probably don't mention it because it just will or won't happen- it's not like you would just not get treatment because you thought you might get asthma later.Other than all that, I am doing fine. Work stays very busy. Our chorus is starting to record a CD for our 25th anniversary. If you would like to reserve a copy, the preproduction price is $15 and I am taking orders. It should be quite good and will have songs from the chorus of years ago as well as recent songs. I'm also busy with my church, where I am co-chair of the property committee- the building is needing a lot of work, so that takes quite a bit of arranging and meeting and so on. I agreed to stay on until June since I missed half a year last year. I think I am nuts. Hope you are all doing well. I will send out a quick update after my appointment Monday. I'll appreciate your strong energy as I look forward to that appointment, as I am a bit nervous about it.