Skip to main content

Blurry Vision

From the intentional interim pastor

May 6, 2015

"You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

            How is that for something to think about?
            In a few hours I’ll be heading to the eye doctor for my first appointment since moving to North Carolina.  Ken has already visited the practice and he liked them, so all is well. Eye exams are important.
I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 12 years old.  I had headaches and the eye doctor discovered that I am near-sighted and have astigmatism.  If you aren’t familiar with “astigmatism” here is the definition:  “An irregular shaped cornea or lens prevents light from focusing properly on the retina, the light sensitive surface at the back of the eye. As a result, vision becomes blurred at any distance” (from the American Optometric Association).
Apparently most of us have some degree of astigmatism.  I guess this means all of us have some blurry vision at one point or another. 
How’s that for something to think about?
I’ve been thinking a lot about the mother in Baltimore who pulled her teenage son out of the riots and used her hands to let him know of her displeasure.  Some have said that she was wrong in “beating” her child.  Others have said they would have done the same thing to ensure that the son wasn’t killed, injured or arrested in the riots.  Some of the same people who applauded the mother’s actions have also called for non-violent actions from the rioters, and others find that to be hypocritical. 
Since my vision is blurry when I am farther away, it is hard for me to say whether this mother did the right thing or not.  I will say that I think I am capable of doing the same thing.  My child’s safety would come first.  But I wasn’t there.   I don’t live in Baltimore.  I do not share that mother’s experiences.  I can’t. 
Isn’t this the case for all of us?  It is easy to leap to judgment about events and actions we see on television, but we don’t live in their worlds and we don’t share their experiences. 
How’s that for something to think about?

Prayers for the journey,
Pastor Peg