Skip to main content

What we are born to do ...

This morning at 4 AM the husband of a dear high school friend (Ann) died. She had been in touch with a group of high school friends for the past few weeks, and had faced the loss of her husband with dread. But when the end came, grace was there. Her words this morning were ...

My sweet, beautiful Clancy is gone.  He passed away tonight at 4:40 a.m..  We were all there holding hands and we literally sang him into glory.  We had a good day with him as he was awake and talking….and I got that one last kiss before he went to sleep. 

Clancy was my 2nd cousin, and Ann is my 3rd cousin. (This isn't unusual in eastern Rowan County. My own parents were 2nd cousins of each other.) Clancy's grandfather made my brother Nelson a homemade baseball bat in 1954 (which Nelson still has).

My close contact with Ann during Clancy's last few weeks when his vital organs were failing was punctuated by a commentary offered by Tracy Grant on the NRP News Hour last evening, which is on the theme of what we are born to do. I share that 3-minute video with you in this context ...