Skip to main content

From the Pastor

Dear Community Friends, 

I know I am not the only one staring at a house filled with the Spirit of the season!
And when I say that, I am hopeful that Spirit appreciates being adorned with reindeer antlers, half-eaten candy canes, last year's Christmas cards where cousins' faces are scribbled out, and a play manger scene in which one of the magi lost his hand to the dog's appetite. Welcome to Advent!

As every good Pastor Mommy does, I have included rituals for my family to participate in during the Advent season. The goal, of course, being to keep our focus on waiting not only for the lego sets, barbie dolls and fire-breathing dragons to arrive, but celebrating in the hope and love of God that we already share. 

Family Night Rituals #1: Watching for the Light 
Advent Calendar: Sage loves opening the tiny boxes of the Advent calendar each night, so I bought a calendar that reveals 1 piece of a manger scene each night to be completed on Christmas Eve. Big mistake. I don't want Mary! Where is the chocolate, mommy?! #mommyfail1.  

Advent Wreath: I brought the kit from church and let the kids put the wreath together. #mommywin!

There were tears about who would blow the candle out after the prayer, and then after the pre-written Advent liturgy, Quinn screamed out "people who are sick, and in the hurricane," since our liturgy did not include them. #mommyfail2. 

Peace Dove: This is the evangelical version of Elf on the Shelf. Just no. Just no, no, no. Each night the dove leaves a message on a small card that shares a possible activity that the family can do together to respond to those in need. Great idea? Had I realized that each activity itself is a full-time job, like building a mailbox together from the wood you cut down from the barn you have in your backyard...I would have gone with the Elf! #mommybigfail3.  

Mostly, though, as I think about these lovely fun failures, and the opportunity they provide for my children and my family to experience these dark days of waiting with intention and thoughtfulness, I am filled with joy. Finding humor in a toddler's meltdown is much like giving ourselves the grace we need on life's journey. May you discover grace in a new way this Advent season; and may it be as permeable for you as the stars scattered across the darkened sky which give light to all in the house. Prepare for the Light.
#mommybigwin!

Rev. Jenny Shultz-Thomas