Skip to main content

Letter from Pastor Tony

Dear Friends and Neighbors,

I am (already) thinking about my New Year’s resolution! For the past several years, I have resolved to be thankful. There was a time in my life in which I failed to give thanks—and this even though I had everything to be thankful for. This year, I will continue to resolve to give thanks whenever it is true and right to do so, whenever and wherever I can give thanks.

As I will be attending the meeting of the American Academy of Religion and the Society of Biblical Literature on November 25th, I wanted to take this opportunity to give thanks for Community UCC. I have been inspired by so many of you: your willingness to take risks, eat and drink together, think both about your past and future, to work with two “bridge” pastors, to fight for the environment, affordable housing, bail bond reform, and so much more. I am thankful for all the ways in which so many of you have chosen to work with me as I learn to get comfortable in my own pastoral skin. I am a professional student, and so I am thankful for all you have allowed me to learn while serving you. Your wonderfully stubborn and persistent commitment to extravagant welcome fills me with thanksgiving and gratitude and joy.

As I always say, thankfulness reminds me of what I am not thankful for. I mean, you can’t have one without the other. I know this time of transition does not make all of you feel thankful. More broadly, much has happened in our communities, country and world that gives us every reason to question the sense of giving thanks. As we enter into the holiday season, it can become difficult to hold what we are thankful for together with what causes us to feel anger, sadness, disappointment, and worry.

Thankfully, we have Community UCC. I hope you will bring all that you are and experience into this season of thanks, anticipation, and newness. Let’s reflect, belong, and celebrate together. Why not?

Thank you.

Tony
PastorTony.cucc@gmail.com

Pastor Tony will be at a conference
for religion and biblical scholars
from November 24-27.