Skip to main content

Hi Everybody!

Hello! I am fine. Just wanted to touch base with all you wonderful folks to let you know how things are going.

I may have found out what is wrong with my artificial knee, and found out a lot that is not wrong with it. It is in great shape mechanically. The artificial joint is solidly in place and shows no signs of wear or deterioration. The bones are strong. There is no infection nor inflammation. So why, you may ask does it hurt periodically? Well, my orthopedic surgeon isn't positive either, but thinks it may be peripheral neuropathy as a side effect from the chemo. It's funny that just knowing that the knee joint is fine despite the pain causes it to hurt less. He has suggested that I take Neurontin to see if that helps with the nerve pain- so far it just makes me sleep like death and get weary earlier in the day, even though I only take one pill at night. I can tell you I will NOT be taking it during the day! I probably will discontinue it since not only does it make me wayyyyy too sleepy, it also doesn't help the pain! I'll give it another week to see for sure.

I feel good otherwise. My hair has the consistency of a poodle. Little ringlets that currently lie flat against my head (mostly) but they are just itching to sproingggg forth. It's fun, and so different from fine, straight, limp hair. I have learned why I have always had problems with my hair styles... it grows from my cowlick around my head, clockwise. So the hair on the left side grows forward, and the hair on the right heads toward the back. My hairdresser has a challenge ahead of her!

Work goes well. I was very excited yesterday when the State budget was passed and included some bills that will greatly benefit foster teens and young adults- one continues Medicaid coverage for kids who age out of care until they are 21. The other provides tuition, fees, books and a room and board allowance to NC public universities or community colleges for youth who age out of foster care at 18 AND youth who were adopted after age 12. There are some other budget provisions that will also impact foster youth, such as the EARN program which will allow low income youth to get community college credit while still in high school. I am facing some large writing assignments developing policy, writing an RFP, and developing administrative letters that explain all this to the county DSS's. I'm also back on the road training, catching up with folks who have not had LINKS-specific training. I don't say this to complain- I really enjoy training, getting to meet the folks I normally only talk to by phone or email; I will take great joy helping the new laws become implemented on time; and it is a pleasant challenge to have the responsibility to write an RFP.

Chorus starts back up August 14, and I am looking forward to it. We did sing July 4 at the Festival for the Eno, which was really fun. Our next concerts are in late October, so we will be getting right to work.

One of the LINKS liaisons bought a t-shirt for me that says "fight like a girl" with the pink ribbon logo. Most of the proceeds from sales of the shirts go to Komen Foundation. They are REALLY cute and I have since ordered 9 more. They come in a periwinkle blue, dark lime, and chocolate brown. If you want to know more, get in touch with Tricia at Tricia.Nielsen@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov

I hope she doesn't kill me for that! ;-)

Much love to all of you- I think of you often! You have taught me a lot about supporting someone through this illness- and I already have a friend from church and a coworker who have been diagnosed recently- We really do need to stop this disease!! Joan McAllister