Skip to main content

Clotheslines, great neighbors, and humidity

Rep. Pricey Harrison sponsored a bill which would preclude municipalities for enacting ordinances against using an outdoor clothesline (neighborhood associations could still covenant against them). Unfortunately, the NC Senate Commerce Committee shot down her bill (see News and Observer editorial, "Hang ‘em high").


WRITE TO YOUR SENATOR TO MAKE YOUR OPINION HEARD. SEND A NOTE TO THE NEWS AND OBSERVER (click on "comments" at the editorial on the N&O webpage). Bans on clotheslines punish those who need to count their pennies and hurt the environment. Shouldn’t people be allowed to choose?

A few helpful hints after two years of experimenting

Which style? Umbrella style works well for us. I can fit three large loads on it and could hide undergarments in the center if our power goes out. We spent a bit more for a very sturdy pole (wet jeans and sheets are heavy) and haven’t regretted it. Another great feature: the pole can be removed from its soil-level base which has it’s own cap; we’ll be able to take down the pole easily for the next NC hurricane and could mow over the base if we take a while to get the pole back up.
Positioning and being a good neighbor. We have a corner lot and hence no backyard. I consulted our neighborhood association chair about placement; she suggested a fence (yikes) or at least some screening plants. So we put the pole near our house tucked behind a giant butterfly bush. The umbrella is still visible, but "modest." Then I talked to our neighbor who would be getting a great view of our pole from her deck. I showed her the site, asked if she had any suggestions, and said I planned to keep my undergarments in the house. Wonderful person that she is, she pointed out that she hangs her beach towels between their trees (I never noticed!) and thought the umbrella was a great idea. I’d recommend consulting your neighbors – they might have some good ideas and they appreciate being asked. But make it clear you aren’t asking their permission, just seeking advice on placement.
Timing and being a good neighbor. Who wants to have a party with someone’s t-shirts adorning the view? I’ve offered to keep my clothes inside when the neighbors have a party planned. And I try to keep my Sunday clothes drying to a minimum (our immediate neighbors are Christian, so Sunday is the day).
Positioning and laziness. I knew I’d never use the pole if I had to walk too far from the door. Know thyself!
Crunchy unmentionables. Some items don’t benefit from sun-dried crispness. I still use my dryer for socks, knickers, and towels. And lingerie dries softer hung indoors than out. I run one dark and one light load in my dryer each week; another five loads are hung outside.
Timing. In the warm months, a load hung before noon will be dry by supper. I usually hang a load at breakfast which my daughter "harvests" before supper – an easy school-year schedule.
Cold humidity. I’ve given up hanging out clothes in the cold months. My experience is that when the temperature stays below 50 degrees, a load hung at 7 am is still wet at 4:30 pm.
Motivation. My grandmother had a clothesline in the basement of every home she owned. I grew up "helping" her as she pegged clothes. Today, I use her clothespin basket and many of her pins and pegs. Each load is a connection to love and memories. Consider using an heirloom or creating a container with family or friends for a boost with each load you hang.
Be gracious to yourself. I’m glad we’re reducing our carbon footprint. I’m glad we’re saving money. But one of the things I learned through this process is that it is sustainable because I’m not legalistic about it. I hang clothes when I can, I use the dryer when life requires it.

Post your clothesline stories - humorous and otherwise.