Skip to main content

Open and Affirming 20th Anniversary Party Fun

Did you miss the celebration?


Twenty years after passing a resolution which put us on record as an Open and Affirming Congregation, we read that resolution together during worship.

Then we celebrated with a splendid cake  and many of us took rainbow comma car magnets so we could spread the welcome as we drive around town.

Reading aloud our commitment moved me.  When I was in seminary a friend confided her gender identity - an identity deemed sinful on that campus.  I was so sad for her that she needed to hide her commitment to her partner and sad for me that I couldn't invite her to my church at that time.  Later, when Gary and I joined to CUCC, one of my prime joys was knowing I would never face that dilemma again.  At the celebration, several people told me similar stories from their lives.  Sometimes we take for granted how healing it is for each of us to be part of an ONA congregation.
If you would like to be part of a group exploring how we continue to grow into our ONA commitment, contact me or Joan McAllister.  And if you would like a rainbow comma magnet for your car or other visible metal surface, let Joan know.