Skip to main content

fall study, anyone?

I just finished reading Brian McLaren's "A New Kind of Christianity:  Ten Questions That Are Transforming the Faith" and would be excited to discuss the book with others.  McLaren began a house church which became a megachurch, but he'll help you shed prejudices about what that means.   "A New Kind of Christianity" challenged me, delighted me, and renewed my spirit.  Among the things I respect about the book:
  • McLaren takes seriously reading the Bible and his study doesn't shy away from hard questions.  (You got a taste of his type of study in Maggie's sermon last week.)  His are some of the most beautiful, careful expositions of scripture I have read - made me want to pick up my Bible are read more!
  • McLaren poses that the church exists "to form Christlike people, people of Christlike love."  I began to wonder how that does and doesn't mesh with how we at CUCC see ourselves.
  • McLaren has a gift for using metaphors to explain very complicated theological ideas.  He is by training and nature a "story" person - I think he was an English major - so his mind works in those paths.  He has a wide-ranging intellect and a scholarly disposition, but he also knows how to tell and appreciate a good story.  He is fun to read.
  • McLaren is starting a discussion, not presenting the answers.  And he asks great questions.
Who might gain something from discussing this book?
  • People who have been burned by churches and theology, yet are drawn to keep asking the questions and long for a community of Jesus people.  McLaren grapples with the hard, excluding questions of Biblical authority, damnation, and "one way - our way - to God."  Consistently he discovers the loving God embodied in Jesus, but he doesn't do this by blaming or demeaning those with those traditional views.
  • People who seek to understand questions of sexuality, other faiths, justice, creation care, and the role of the church in the context of faith - and who aren't afraid of hard questions.  His is not a facile understanding of God's call to us.
  • People looking for a deeper understanding of theology or who enjoy Bible study.  Likewise, people who know nothing about the Bible and have never studied theology, but would like to start.
  • People who want to hear again, in another voice, the stories of our loving God.
If you'd be interested in a weekly or biweekly study begining in the fall, let me know.  The book has ten sections, so this would be a long study, but I think we'd need the time to engage in each section.  I'd be glad to lead or co-lead.  I'm thinking Monday, Tuesday or Sunday night at CUCC or at my house.  We could do a brown-bag supper.  Older youth and adults, in and beyond CUCC are welcome.