Skip to main content

"Postcards" now online

Thanks to the friends who joined me at "Postcards from the creative, restless edge of the church."  Your faithful presence pushed me to pull together what I had been reading and thinking about the emergence conversation.  And, best of all, you added yourselves to the mix.  I'll be chewing on your comments in the months to come.  Remember to let me know if you'd like to borrow any of my books.

I hope you'll consider joining me for part or all of the Wild Goose Festival, near Pittsboro, June 23-26, so you can hear for yourself some of the people whose ideas and practices we discussed.

As my "postcard" friends requested, I'm posting the resources we used.  To the many people from the emergence conversation whose work I cite, thank you.  If I have misquoted or misunderstood you, I apologize.  Please let me know so I can correct my mistakes.

Week 1:  Getting ready for the trip
Jane's list of landmarks         Jane's lesson plan       Week 1 homework:  recognizing the landmarks


Week 2:  Two emergent borderlands:  New Monastics and Hyphenateds
Jane's list of borderlands       Jane's lesson plan     Week 2 homework:  visiting the borderlands


Week 3:  Cool practices of some emergent congregations
What is post-modern?        Practices   lesson plan     Week 3 homework:  The Great Emergence, Tickle

Week 4:  Four nodes of emergence:  Tickle, Katangole, Rollins, McLaren
Jane's lesson plan         Suggestions for future reading

Our question for the future:
Brian McLaren said, "The church exists to form Christlike people, people of Christlike love."*
Imagine such a church.  What would it include in order to form you (in your particularity) as a Christlike person, a person of Christlike love?
* (p. 164, A New Kind of Christianity, Harper One, 2010)