Skip to main content

From the Pastor

Dear Community UCC & Friends,

     Four years ago, On October 10, 2014, a North Carolina U.S. District Court judge ruled in General Synod of the United Church of Christ v. Cooper that the state's denial of marriage rights to same-sex couples was unconstitutional.
      Three years ago, on June 26, 2015, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of same-sex marriage across the land.
      There was a time when I thought I would always live a compromised life either dishonest to myself or the world. It took me a long time to understand that the only compromise I had to make was the one that called me to give-up my codependent relationship with a broken world. One that lives to judge, that thrives on the exploitation and marginalization of its most honest souls, that depends on our believing its lies.
     #nomorelies
      Today, I choose hope in the face of impossibility. I believe in a “God who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist.”
      Today, I am blessed to stand by my wife, with our two children, alongside a beautiful and beloved community of God's people, resisting, one day at a time, the lies that perpetuate oppression and violence.
      Each day, as we wake-up to a world of impossibilities, may we choose hope as our weapon of resistance and faith as our strength in persisting. Love will lead the way as we work to challenge and mend the brokenness between us.

    Spirit is leading the way,

    Rev. Jenny Shultz-Thomas