Skip to main content

An Echo from the Past

Today's Raleigh N&O includes an obit for Wangari Maathai, the Kenyan environmentalist who became the first African woman to earn a Nobel Peace Prize, and the first East African woman to receive a Ph.D. The article reminded me of the occasion several years ago when a visitor at the CUCC forum identified himself as her ex-husband. He related that he had visited CUCC while a student in the U.S. in the 1960s, and that he had fond memories of CUCC and the people who had welcomed him then.

In order to verify my memory, I checked the bio for Wangari Maathai found at Wikipedia. It would appear that she and her husband had a very tortured relationship, but the facts there appear to verify my memory. So I'm posting this information so folks will be aware of a small connection between our church and a very remarkable African woman.