Skip to main content

Why matins?

[from Jane as Jane, not with my CUCC hat on]  When I was a teenager, I began going to the Episcopal mass with my neighbor. She and I played guitar in a tiny 18th century sanctuary which smelled of old wood and incense, light filtering through stained glass windows. That was my introduction to the richness of “high church” liturgy. Over the years, I continued to delight in the liturgies of the Roman Catholic and Lutheran traditions and, as much as I love CUCC, I find I miss those rhythms of worship. Gary and I participated in Matins at Grace Lutheran Church when we first moved to Raleigh. That brief service and time for coffee and chatting, repeated each week with roughly the same small group of people, was an important part of keeping us energized for the hard work of doing justice. The CUCC Deacons have graciously said “yes” to our request to try it for six Wednesdays at CUCC.


What is matins? Matins is the early morning prayer service in the Roman Catholic, Anglican, Lutheran and Eastern Orthodox liturgies of the canonical hours. Around the world, Christians begin their day with roughly this format: greeting, song, scripture of the day, prayers of the community, Lord’s prayer, benediction. Whether you enjoy formal liturgy, are curious, or simply want to start your weekday with prayer and friendship, consider Wednesday Matins, 7-7:45 am.

We’ll be adapting the matins from a new book, Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals, which was written by participants in the “new monastic” communities: Shane Claiborne (Simple Way, Philadelphia), Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove (Rutba House, Durham), and Enuma Okoro (Duke University).

Where: Bradow room (the room with the comfy furniture
When: Wednesdays, 7-7:45 am (Sep. 14 to Oct. 19)
I hadn’t planned for childcare, assuming those with children will be busy with school routines. Let me know if you’d like to come but need childcare and I’ll see what I can arrange.
Friends are welcome!
A Gathering of Friends events