Skip to main content

Beer and Hymns comes to Raleigh

I learned yesterday that Hollie Woodruff Duncan (one of our guest preachers this summer) is bringing this Wild Goose Festival favorite to Raleigh.  I'm sad I have a commitment I can skip.  Feel free to extend the invitation to your friends who love those old hymns.

If you love those old hymns, this is an experience not to miss.  Imagine hearing this was happening in Munich while you were there on vacation; you would definitely check it out.  

The details - 

Beer and Hymns - Sing along in this centuries-old tradition on Sunday, Nov. 3, 7pm at Tir na Nog (218 S Blount St, Raleigh).  Folks gather, buy the beverage of their choice, and sing old hymns.  Expect lots of gusto, full harmony, and all the verses!  I first experienced Beer and Hymns at the Wild Goose Festival and it quickly became one of my favorite events (and I don't even drink beer!).  The tradition reaches back to the dinner table of Martin and Katharina von Bora Luther when Martin's students would gather to sing and drink. Who knows?  Maybe "A Mighty Fortress" made its debut at Beer and Hymns at the Luthers'.  

A few words about 
Parking - The Moore Square parking deck is directly behind Tir na Nog; entrance is from Wilmington Street.  Parking is free after 6pm.  The area is well-lit because the deck also serves the CAT bus station.

Family-friendly - I expect this will be family friendly.  I took elementary-aged-Abby to Tir na Nog for meals and they sponsor Celtic bands, fun runs, and all sorts of community event. The Wild Goose Festival is also family-friendly, so I expect that good company feel to continue.

- submitted by Jane Smith as a personal invitation