Skip to main content

Community UCC: My Spiritual and Artistic Journey

Community UCC: My Spiritual and Artistic Journey

To my CUCC family --

Good morning, day, afternoon or evening! My name is Carson Roach-Howell and I am a member of CUCC from birth until my current age of 20. If you’re a new member you may not know me, as I have been away at college for the past two years at the University of North Carolina in Wilmington studying film.

I have loved to draw, take pictures and otherwise express myself creatively as long as I can remember, but when I got my first video camera for my 14th birthday a new passion awoke within me. I started small, making silly stop-motion animation videos and suspense movies with my family and life-long friend (and fellow CUCC youth) Jackson Kiel, but the support I felt from the members of my church even then when we showed my videos on the TV in the Vaughan-Wing all those years ago was overwhelming.

One of my first videos, made in Fall 2009 and shown (to much amusement) at CUCC in Spring 2010.

Another (more eerie) video made in an autumn ‘09 afternoon with Jackson

At the same time as I was exploring myself artistically, so too was I exploring my spirituality. I, along with Jackson, was confirmed as a member of CUCC in May 2010. The turn of a decade was a very turbulent time for me, growing up and going to high school, questioning my faith and my friendships and seeing myself grow physically in drastic leaps. Throughout these times, the smiling faces of CUCC became close friends, and supported me more than ever before. Along with Sue Cottle and Michael Evans, who taught my confirmation class, I explored Christian doctrine and ideas critically for the first time.

  
Jackson, Śānti, Anna, Abby and I after the youth led-worship in 2010

 
Jackson, Sue Cottle and I on confirmation Sunday in 2010



So too did my many adventures with the CUCC youth group help me grow both in spirit and in creativity. From fun outings to interfaith food shuttle sorting, youth leaders Andrew Johnson and Śānti Matthews showed me the good that the church can do for the community and for the lives of its members. One experience in particular that helped me to grow in creative and spiritual confidence was helping to create the service, along with the youth group led by Śānti Matthews. Each spring from 2010 to 2013, I would take on more responsibilities in the planning of the worship. Believe it or not, planning these services is not too different from the planning that goes into making a movie.


Bottom left: Jackson and I in the lobby after the youth led service in 2011
Top right: Joy Alford helping me finalize my ideas for my final mini-sermon in 2013

During these busy high school years, the church and its members continued to inspire me to chase my (often lofty) goals. In 2011, I got my first taste of professional video work when I took all of my new gadgets and skills and documented, along with the help of Jackson once more, CUCC’s annual “Welcoming/Welcome Back Sunday” event. That Sunday, I got to interview Pastor Steve about the day, and what it meant to him -- skills I have since used in numerous documentary films. The praise and advice I received on this project helped inspire me to grow these skills even more.

“Welcoming Sunday,” Fall 2015

Since leaving for college 2 years ago, I have been gifted with many new experiences and perspectives. At UNCW, I have been heavily involved with the on campus film club on top of my formal education on the history and production of film. I made many short films in my first year for fun and for experience. In the past year, I also have begun more serious project, doing videography work for Glenaire and others. Earlier this year I, along with two of my good friends, formed a small company after we received the opportunity to make a documentary film on the Highland (Scottish) Games. The skills I have been developing both personal and professional have allowed us to make a name for ourselves on this project and on others.

Looking forward, I’m excited to take my skills to the next level, working on bigger projects that will hopefully take me into the film industry after I graduate. My focus currently is on a narrative film harkening back to my early days of film both morbid and silly. I wrote it for a screenwriting class last semester and now I am planning to film it this September, along with the small company I helped to found, Goodbye Productions.

If you are interested in supporting this project, you can learn more about it on our fundraising page: http://igg.me/at/deadbeat/x/675226

You can learn more about my other projects at http://goodbyeproductions.net!

If you want to watch more of my videos and short films, I upload them to: https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperCTastic/videos when I can!

I want to thank everyone at the church for all of the support you have shown me for my entire life. No matter where my spiritual journey and career take me, Community United Church of Christ will always be my home.

Carson Roach-Howell