Skip to main content

#9 A devotional for our collective reflection

Dear fellow CUCC'ers:
 
This email is a continuation of deacon outreach efforts in this time of COVID-19. Contained within this email is another devotional for our collective reflection, penned by Sam Woodrum.
 
Please remember if you are in need of support or assistance, then please don’t hesitate to call or reach out to one of us. We are happy to receive your prayer requests. We are also able to contact pastors or church staff on your behalf, should you require their support. We will strive to help any way we can.  You can find contact information for each deacon in the Breeze Deacons tag.
 
Thank you for being in community with us. May we remain unified, loving, passionate and compassionate during this difficult time. Peace be with you!
 
****************************************************
A devotional by Sam Woodrum

In college, I took an entry level astronomy class that consistently blew my mind.  I naively thought, "it’ll be cool to learn all the constellations." Turns out, we barely skimmed over constellations during one lab.  The material was actually much more about physics: the way all the parts of our unfathomably large universe moved and interacted. The Earth was a tiny part of this big picture, and the constellations were really just a flat interpretation of the vast world beyond… an interpretation which wouldn’t fit if you were looking out from any other spot in the universe.  My uninformed idea of what astronomy was all about was limited to my own perspective, as if I was the center of the universe. When I read “the Lord has made his light shine upon us” in Psalm 118 my initial naive/self-centered reaction was, “well, it doesn’t always feel that way… where was that light when ____.” But when I remember the paradigm shift from my class, I think about how after sunset it seems like the sun has disappeared.  Broadening our perspective just a bit shows us that obviously the fiery sun is still lighting and warming the Earth, it just can't be seen from where we're sitting at the moment. In this season, I pray for perspective on those dark nights.