Skip to main content

We welcome Rev. Michael Lester to the pulpit Sept. 1

CUCC is happy to welcome our friend, the Rev. Michael Lester, to preach this Sunday, September 1, at 10:30 worship.  Michael has visited CUCC over the years and is a member at our sister congregation, Umstead Park UCC.  He provided us with this biography.  Thank you for preaching this Sunday, Michael!

As a child I dreamed of being an artist. I studied art and became an art teacher in a Christian school in rural Michigan. I married while there and assisted my father-in-law with his ministry. I was his youth and children’s pastor as I attended a local Bible college studying theology.

In the fall of 1978 I took a position as a supply pastor in a very rural community in northern Michigan where they could not get a pastor. After two years we moved to Oklahoma where I studied theology at Oklahoma Wesleyan University. While there I was invited to serve as college and singles pastor at the University Church.

After graduation we moved to Kansas where I was ordained after two years serving as a pastor in The Wesleyan Church.  While serving in this evangelical denomination I began to question some of the dogma and political leaning of the church.

During our five years in Kansas we adopted two racially mixed children. This process opened my eyes to the racial/social and economic inequities in the evangelical church.

We wanted to move closer to family and I accepted a position in staff at a church in Lafayette, Indiana where the issues of race continued to shape and redirect my theological path.

We moved to North Carolina in the summer of 1989 where I served as pastor at The Wesleyan Church in Rocky Mount. While there I served on the mayor's council for racial justice and continued my education while volunteering as a chaplain at Nash General Hospital.

In the fall of 1993 I was accepted into the Clinical Pastoral Education system at the University of North Carolina Memorial Hospital where I served as a chaplain for a year. During this period my mother was diagnosed with cancer, I came out as a gay man and ended my marriage and had to leave my denomination. Life was turned upside down and everything I was taught and believed came into question.

For some time I was angry with “The Church” and could only see the hypocrisy and egos of those who filled the pulpits of churches I would attend.

I have always been musical, singing with numerous groups and participating in musical theater. I have done many productions on most stages in Raleigh. About 15 years ago I was asked to be a soloist for a cantata at Avent Ferry United Methodist Church. I told them I would not sing where I and my family would not be fully welcomed. So I attended and found a multicultural church that was welcoming to all. I was their soloist and continued to worship there for seven years becoming their first openly gay member. During that time I taught the Senior Adult Sunday School and became very involved in the conference's reconciling movement. After one very antagonistic and disappointing General Conference I chose to find a denomination where I would be fully embraced and welcomed as an equal while owning my identity as a gay Christian man. Needless to say my theology was changing and I was experiencing growth as my faith was challenged.

I made my way to Umstead Park UCC and found my home. Five years ago I took a year and did the educational requirements to have my ordination recognized with the UCC.

For the past 25 years I have worked as a hair stylist; as cliché as that may sound it has given me the opportunity to fulfill my artistic yearnings  and  minister to many people one by one... I have often said I have a large congregation but I only see them one at a time.

I have been actively involved in an interfaith dialogue group for 5-7 years and participated in the Moral Monday Marches.

I am blessed with an amazing racially mixed family and as a gay father feel that I have a unique voice and deep compassion for all marginalized people.

I am most grateful the God I love is greater than the understanding I held as a young minister. My comprehension of God has less defined parameters as I seek to understand the incomprehensible, omnipotent, omniscient compassionate creator.

I have returned to my roots as an artist and continue to do theater and music. Over the past decade I have added writing to my set of aspirational skills. I have written a children’s book I hope to get published, poetry and a play that is still in rewrite before submitting into competition.

I am excited and grateful for the privilege to share in worship with Community UCC.